Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Year of the Dog

This story started a few years before I became vegan.
My husband and I adopted Chaos. It wasn't long before I was involved in the pit bull rescue community, helping pit bulls and others find loving homes. At one point we were given a Bloodhound puppy that our friend had rescued. He took the dog from the owner because the owner wasn't getting his dog's broken leg fixed. The owner had looked into how much fixing the leg would be, decided it was too much, so didn't do anything for days. Actually it had been broken for a full week. The dog broke his leg because he jumped from the moving truck bed while on the Lewvan(a quick paced road in Regina, Sk).
Why he wasn't tethered in, to prevent injury, I can only guess.
That's when our friend intervened. He brought the broken dog to our house. We quickly figured out which clinic could actually do something for his leg, and got him there. We paid for his leg to be fixed. It was pricey, he required pins and such. The poor dog was sent back to his owner. I don't really know what happened to him. I hope he's okay and happy.


Anyways! In 2007, I was taking a look at one of my dog magazines and there was a short story about a new film, Year of the Dog, with Molly Shannon. It talked about how the film was all about this character's concern for dogs. I talked Troy into renting it with me and we watched. It was, meh.
For me, it was sad. It made me sad. In fact, it made me a bit uncomfortable. I thought this was because it was sad. Nope! The entire film is about Molly Shannon's character, Peggy, and her transformation into becoming vegan.

This summer, I heard a great review on Our Hen House about this movie! I couldn't recall anything that they said happened in the film, so I watched it again Wow! I saw this movie back when it was released, but clearly, I didn't!
I had no idea it was all about becoming vegan! And it's actually a comedy! Despite the really sad parts that make me cry, it is a comedy! It really is!! It's a rather absurd comedy because she does so many absurd things! Things, that as a vegan, I have considered, however briefly, doing. But I haven't because I would really seem crazy. You probably have to be vegan to understand and appreciate the humor, but wow! Was I so blinded to her veganism the first time, that I couldn't appreciate or see the funny bits?

She does the stuff that ethical vegans have thought about doing, but don't. Cause that would be . . . inappropriate. 
I don't know how, but I totally missed her becoming vegan. Actually, it makes sense. I had blinders on. I didn't want to see it, so I didn't.
I watched again because I wanted to see which parts I had missed the first time.
It was the entire film.
I think I must had seen the first 10 minutes and another 10 minutes in the middle, and that was it. Because she clearly states several times throughout the film, "I want to be vegan", "yup, vegan", "there's no milk, butter, or any animal product in them. No animals were harmed in the making of those cupcakes". She even sponsors farm animals for family gifts. Delightful!
Is this what everyone goes through? I mean, does everyone really not see vegans? How did I wake up?
Does everyone really need to get bashed in the head to wake up?


No comments:

Post a Comment