Friday, January 13, 2012

A Challenge!! Veganize This: Hungarian Torta

Okay, here's the recipe my mom uses to make her torta. There are lots of versions, even within my own family, maybe your family makes something similar.

The version of this recipe that I had, has terrible directions! Terrible!
"Add the vanilla extract? What vanilla extract?! There's none listed...and how much?!?" Argh.
I didn't get it, so I had Troy look at it. He was super confused, so I talked to my mom. Luckily she was able to email me her recipe(which uses no vanilla extract!). Then we added more instructions because my family recipes seem to not include instructions. :P
Meeting with my mom in person, twice, 6 emails, and 5 phone calls later, I was able revamp the recipe so not just my mom gets it.
This recipe has many steps, it takes about 4 hours, but I am begging you to help me veganize this! Please note that this recipe can be reduced.
Help?
Please? I'll be your friend forever.                 

Hungarian Torta

The Dough-Torta Layers

This should make enough for 3 to 4 large cookie sheets.The layers get cut in half, once baked, so 6-8 layers.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line cookie sheets with foil.  Coat the foil on the cookie sheets with lard and dust with flour. Be sure to coat all the lard with flour.
  • 18 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp  salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
  • 18 eggs, separated               
  • 18 Tbsp granulated sugar
Beat egg whites till stiff. Add half (9 Tbsp)of the sugar. Keep beating till mixed in well. Set egg-white mixture aside.
Beat egg yolks till thick, adding other 9 Tbsp of sugar.
Fold dry ingredients mixture into egg yolks. Fold in the egg-white mixture.
Put batter in just to evenly cover the pan.Watch carefully as it bakes quickly. Should be a very light brown.
Remove from oven, remove foil from pan and turn over onto brown paper. Gently remove foil from layer.
Repeat till all layers are baked.

 The Torta Filling

  • 10 egg yolks
  • 2 eggs(whites and yolks)
Beat these together until they're a creamy yellow colour. Put mixture in fridge to keep cool.
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
Place in a pot, mix and boil, stirring constantly. Boil till mixture forms a thread when dripping off a spoon (till it is thick to drip off spoon-my grandma calls this 'threading'). Immediately, but slowly, add to the egg mixture beating all the time. Beat till completely mixed. And mix for a couple minutes longer.

Once quite cool add the following butter mixture:

  • 2 cup unsalted butter, softened  
  • 2 Tbsp cocoa powder, add more to taste
Sift the cocoa powder into the butter. Then mix butter mixture with the cooled egg mixture.Cut the dough layers in half put frosting between each layer and top. Be sure to alternate the layers to prevent lopsided Torta.
Trim sides of cake and frost.
*********************************************************************************
We cut the cake into thin-ish slices, rather than the classic cuts like the cake shown above.
I always loved this cake served frozen. My mom likes it room temperature. But to each their own!
Please don't hesitate to message me, or tweet me any questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment