Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Eating Animals

I read this book because I heard that it turned a lot of people vegan.
I wanted to see what the fuss was about.
Plus I was really enjoying reading about the different perspectives from different experts. I like having my thinking challenged.

I hear, that the author, Jonathan Safron Foer, is not vegan.
Whatever. 
I know that I couldn't know any of this stuff without feeling compelled to do something about it. Which, I guess he did.
He wrote this book.
That inspired others. So that's something, I suppose.
I just know that I can't willingly pay for someone else to do my dirty work. Therefore, I'm not.


It was a really good read! Lots of facts about the different industries within animal agriculture.
Basically it was about Jonathan Safron Foer exploring these industries because he wanted to know what to feed his newborn son, as he got older.

I was really taken aback by the fishing industries, and their numbers!

"One study found that roughly 4.5 million sea animals are killed as bycatch in longline fishing every year, including roughly 3.3 million sharks, 1 million marlins, 60,000 sea turtles, 75,000 albatross, and 20,000 dolphins and whales." EVERY YEAR! Original source here.

How is there any life in the oceans with those numbers?!?!

The answer:
There won't be any life to take out of the oceans in less than 40 years. Scientists and experts agree that the rate we fish life out of the ocean today, by the year 2048, "catches of all the presently fished seafoods will have declined on average by more than 90 per cent since 1950." The Telegraph.

For awhile, I thought that I could sneak some salmon or crab to eat, but when I learned that, I knew I couldn't. I mean, how could I?! I'm not that selfish!
Ha! Should've written shellfish!
        Bada Bah!

Anyway! I hear that Natalie Portman wants to make the book into a movie, because it inspired her. Should be exciting. I'd like to know how they'll do it, so hopefully it will get made!

No comments:

Post a Comment