Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Meeting Thee Erin Red

I know I should post pictures of the food we ate(they're coming!), review the talks and inspiring speakers, and celebrate the variety of great people we met. But no, I need to talk about meeting Erin Red.

Yes folks. It was a magical moment.
Abigail and I were sitting, waiting for Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's first talk, From Excuse-itarian to Vegan: Addressing the Blocks and Excuses that Keep Us from Making Changes on Saturday, September 8th.
In the front row, I might add, cause we're super nerds.
What Would Colleen Patrick-Goudreau Do?
"I Can't Even Look At You In That Fur"










Sitting and waiting. I recognized a female's voice just behind me. She excused herself as she tried to get past someone. Before I had even turned around fully, and before the thought had truly registered in my brain, I heard myself exclaiming, "Erin Red?!"
Then I saw her. Red hair and all. She saw me and exclaimed herself, "Alyx Millham?!"
We both grinned widely, and immediately moved from where we were.
I stood from my seat, and she somehow shimmied her way out of the isle.

Seriously. It was magical.
I felt like we were two lovers in an open field, running toward one another, with open arms, about to embrace.
Okay, not exactly...I wrote 'like'...so similarly. And I'm sure we didn't look that way to bystanders.
But we did hug, and took our seats again. She introduced me to her father. He was very kind. And awesome!

After the talk, Colleen was signing books, so Abi and I waited our turn in line. While we waited, Erin talked with us, and showed us her new tattoo! Colleen hadn't even seen it yet! Pretty incredible stuff, I must say(mighty tempted to copy her).
Colleen signed my Vegan's Daily Companion, and Abi's The Vegan Table.
Yes, Abigail and I lugged them from home in Regina, Saskatchewan. Don't judge.
I got Erin to sign Vegan's Daily Companion on the page where her story is(pg 292-From Skeptic To Vegan).
She wrote,
"Remember to always ask yourself-WWCPGD? You're awesome. Don't forget it. Erin Red xoxo"

I brought the tattoo magazine, Skin & Ink(April/May 2012) with her tattooed self, gracing the pages. She signed that, too.
"You are the reason I do what I do, thank you for your powerful activism! Much love! Erin Red xoxo"

We got photographs with Colleen Patrick-Goudreau and Erin Red. I felt like the luckiest woman alive.

1 comment:

  1. You're such a sweetheart, Alyx. Thank you so much for all your hard work on behalf of the animals, especially the human ones. I'm blessed to know you and honored to have you as a listener and show supporter!

    Hope to see you again soon...
    xo Erin Red

    ReplyDelete